How do you find a snapshot of a defunct webpage or website ?
How many sites have you visited that are now inaccessible or have been scrubbed from the web ?
I use WaybackMachine quite a bit , I find it very useful , although it is flawed in some respects .
Wayback Machine is a non-profit organization and has no ties to the corporate world . Previously sites could opt-out of the Wayback webcrawlers by using a robots.txt file , this practice has apparently been ignored by Wayback since 2017 .
If you find a site that has any useful information you can also save the webpage to Wayback yourself .
Wayback also has a useful facility to check for broken links in a WordPress site .
Of course Wayback is no match for a hard copy , useful nonetheless , especially when you consider the alternative .
- Internet Archive – Wayback Machine
- The Internet’s keepers? “Some call us hoarders—I like to say we’re archivists”
- Wayback Machine (Wikipedia)
- Best Wayback Machine Alternative Sites
- 7 Best Wayback machine Alternatives in 2018