Cultocracy note :
The variety of state sponsored ‘Brain Initiatives’ are not designed to improve the well being of the human race and treat brain disorders . They are closely aligned with the research and development of artificial intelligence (AI) and brain computer interfaces (BCI) , the pioneers will reap massive profits . Other organizations hiding in the shadows have more grandiose and sinister schemes in mind . There are certain governmental policy initiatives that always seem to transcend domestic politics .
Does the global race for advanced AI suggest a cat and mouse type scenario , or does is hint at a deeper form of global cooperation ? Probably the former , or if the latter who is pulling the strings ? Of course there is always the outside possibility that neuroscientists have knowledge of how the research could be perverted and are attempting to form an alliance to thwart any lurch to the dark side .
The mode of thinking behind the new gold rush is ‘if they have it , we must have it’ , advanced AI that is . If you found a large golden nugget would you share it with your fellow prospectors ? History tells us that this just does not happen .
If the goals are reached , where will that leave humanity itself ?
Human guinea pigs and research subjects will be required , there will be no need to volunteer .
As always , the keyword is control .
Here’s how China is challenging the U.S. and European brain initiatives
SHANGHAI, CHINA—The nascent China Brain Project took another step toward reality last week with the launch of the Shanghai Research Center for Brain Science and Brain-Inspired Intelligence. The new center and its Beijing counterpart, launched 2 months ago, are expected to become part of an ambitious national effort to bring China to the forefront of neuroscience. But details of that 15-year project—expected to rival similar U.S. and EU efforts in scale and ambition—are still being worked out, 2 years after the government made it a priority.
Preparation for the national effort “was taking quite a long time,” says Zhang Xu, a neuroscientist and executive director of the new center here. So Beijing and Shanghai got started on their own plans, he says. China’s growing research prowess and an increasing societal interest in neuroscience—triggered in part by an aging population—as well as commercial opportunities and government support are all coming together to make this “a good time for China’s brain science efforts,” Zhang says.
Government planners called for brain research to be a key science and technology project in the nation’s 13th Five-Year Plan, adopted in spring 2016. The effort would have three main pillars, according to a November 2016 Neuron paper from a group that included Poo Mu-ming, director of Shanghai’s Institute of Neuroscience (ION), part of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). It would focus on basic research on neural mechanisms underlying cognition, translational studies of neurological diseases with an emphasis on early diagnosis and intervention, and brain simulations to advance artificial intelligence and robotics. Support under the 5-year plan was just the start of a 15-year program, the group wrote.
Read the full article here at Sciencemag.org
- Beijing Launches Pioneering Brain Science Center
- Brain Initiative (US)
- The Human Brain Project (EU)
- US BRAIN initiative funding set to continue under Trump
- World’s Brain Initiatives Move Forward Together
- Toward a Global BRAIN Initiative
- Global representatives announce declaration to establish International Brain Initiative
- World’s Brain Initiatives Move Forward Together
- Scientists threaten to boycott €1.2bn Human Brain Project
- Critics call emphasis on large-scale computer simulations in EU brain project premature
- New algorithm will allow for simulating neural connections of entire brain on future exascale supercomputers
- Researchers find algorithm for large-scale brain simulations
- Why the Human Brain Project Went Wrong
- Mind uploading
- Blue Brain Project
- Blue Brain Project – Artificial Brains
- Economist: Brain Simulations Will Take Over the Government, and Our Jobs, within 100 Years
Further reading :
- Artificial Intelligence Summoning Demons , The Great Deception
- Real Time AI Speech , RNN’s , Tensor Flow , Drones
- The Physics of AI
- WE KNOW EMOTIONS – AI
- ECoG Speech Synthesis , BCI’s , Implant Arrays
- AI Recreates Images From Human Brain EEG
- Those Who Control the Data Control the Future
- Inside the Race to Hack the Human Brain
- Explained: Neural networks
- Strategic Trends Programme – UK Development Concepts and Doctrine Centre
- Can We Copy the Brain?
- The Matrix Deciphered – Dr. Robert Duncan Pt. 3
- Man & machine will be melded into One within 20yrs – IBM expert
- Human Brains Will be Uploaded to Machines – Professor Brian Cox
- Total Individual Control Technology
- AI , Genetics & Eugenics
- Amazon , C.I.A , Big Data & Artificial Intelligence – Future Warfare
- Time to Embrace AI – UK Parliament on Artificial Intelligence