Google I/O is an annual conference where Google employees and guests can compare notes and showcase the latest technological innovations . Technological innovations that we don’t need , but in years to come we will think that we need , if only because someone else has one . Attendees also drink beer , party and probably take narcotic substances , all in the interests of creativity of course .
The show stealer at this years conference highlights how far speech recognition and AI generated speech has progressed .
The system is called Google Duplex , although the conversations in the demonstrations are short , they are also realistic .
You can read more about Duplex and find examples of Duplex in action at the links below , have a listen .
There are other examples available on the web .
Go with the Flow , TI Joe
Duplex uses a recurrent neural network (RNN) , which is a type of artificial neural network (ANN) . RNN’s are inspired by the neural networks in the human brain in that they use ‘neurons’ which can signal to each other . RNN’s can also process two different sources of input , that is the real time input from a human and their own learned input , which is fed to the network via a feedback loop .
RNN’s are therefore able to learn from previous processes , it is often said that RNN’s have a ‘memory’ .
Duplex uses TensorFlow , an open source library used in many machine learning applications .
- A Beginner’s Guide to Recurrent Networks and LSTMs
- Understanding LSTM Networks
- Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN)
- Deep Neural Networks (DNN)
- Random Recurrent Networks Near Criticality Capture the Broadband Power Distribution of Human ECoG Dynamics (PDF)
- Fuzzy systems and dynamical recurrent networks for ECoG-based BCI (PDF)
- Understanding the neural basis of speech production using Machine Learning (PDF)
- Deep Learning in Bioinformatics
- Microarrays in the Brain: Can They Be Used for Brain–Machine Interface Control?
Also related :
- Pentagon using Google’s TensorFlow APIs to analyze drone footage
- Google’s AI is being used by US military drone programme
- AI and machine learning: A new kind of military intelligence
- DARPA launches PPAML artificial intelligence program
- China, Russia and the US Are in An Artificial Intelligence Arms Race